[Homeroast] Turning Bottomless Portafilter

Bryan Wray bwray_thatcoffeeguy at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 09:13:18 CDT 2010

Greg,Perhaps I should watch my wording more closely, but I never meant to imply that a bottomless PF actually produces more crema, it simply yields more crema.
In the end, it's about someone's opinion.
My opinion is that it's rather foolish to not use what is essentially a type of X-Ray vision into what is happening with a shot.  If I'm pulling on bottomless and I have a pinhole, I know it; on a spouted, I have no clue (unless it's a giant pinhole and I see a flash of white in the split-stream).
Obsess over staring at an extraction?  I would hope EVERYONE obsesses over staring at the extraction.  With that in place, a bottomless PF lets you see more of the extraction.  Why wouldn't you want to see more?
To me it's like putting splitters below a V60 pour over.  What the hell is the point?  Cooling it off?  Why not try NOT preheating the serving vessel/demi to damn near 200 F?  I'd would sooo much rather cool my shot in a demitasse than on metal PF spouts.
If the acid from espresso can slowly eat away at the holes in a basket what do you think it's doing to the spouts?  When was the last time you replaced those spouts?
If you want to dissolve the layers of a shot of espresso, use a spoon... that's why it's on the saucer.
Little things to think about I suppose...  Again, in the end, it's about someone's opinion.  I still see no merit to spouts.
-bry

Bryan Wray

Compass Coffee

360.831.1480

Bryan at CompassCoffeeRoasting.com

It is my hope that people realize that coffee is more than just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art- Chris Owens