[Homeroast] GCQRI ???

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Fri Oct 29 20:47:43 CDT 2010

Good points - On nestle: Yes Ed, and if we do nothing, coffee farmers
who currently cultivate with Typica and Bourbon and Caturra will
eventually all have Catimor. Most of the push toward catimor types
comes from the in-country research facilities and agronomists because
they are trying to save coffee farmers from going belly up. It's
completly understandable. Nestle sees themselves as heroes with this
plant distribution effort. And for a farmer at 800 meters or 1000
meters, they should absolutely plant catimors if their crop is pest
and disease ravaged. They will use much less inputs with the right
plant for that altitude and level of coffee quality. Right now we
have a situation where starbucks has jumped the ship on quality and
has moved to vietnam and crap brazil arabicas, and you have their
competitors, Green Mountain, Caribou, those types, trying to stay
with decent quality washed arabicas. In Colombia, much or Huila is
just destroyed by coffee rust fungus, which requires at least 4
fungicide applications to fight. Most of the 1100-1200 meter farms
are wiped out. Farmers push further and further up into the mountains
to avoid rust, and they can for a while, but eventually it follows.
One of the things on the table is to tap the incredible diversity of
native Ethiopia coffee types, which represents something like 90% of
the genetic diversity in coffee (cultivated types are extremely
heterogenous) to find disease resistance in a pure arabica with cup
quality. This would use genetics for identification and rapid
propagation, but not gene splicing manipulations. Hows that for a new
answer to this coffee rust crisis? If you went there and saw how
dramatic the problem is ... its shocking really. One thing with this
initiative is to get a no GMO standard in there (I can't see anyone
except the geneticists advocating for it - its not going to happen).
The other thing I really want to see is a metric to measure potential
research that states a project will "Increase the value of coffee at
the Farm Gate." If a project scores well in that, it means a world of
good for the farm: higher incomes, potentially less competition with
food crops, better use of land etc).

One thing that 10 years ago I would not go for, but I do now, is
increased production. Sustainable increase in production from each
plant, paired with an increase in quality. The wine industry proved
years ago you can have good production and improve quality at the
same time. Low production = Quality is a myth. Low production from
plants is the bane of the farmers existence, literally relegating
them to a poverty cycle, to overtax their land for other uses, to
overuse fertilizers, or to quit coffee altogether. In Harar I saw
coffee with literally 80 or 100 cherries per tree, and half of those
falling off green due to CBD. In that village I saw incredible
poverty, malnutrition, and coffee interplanted with corn and cabbage
(which will rob both food crops and coffee from nutrients), lack of
water (too much given to crops, their well was nearly dry). So the
need is not hypothetical at all. Besides basic extentsion work by
agronomists and financing for their crops (neither of which this
Initiative covers exactly) there ARE research solutions that result
in better coffee for us and better lives for farmers in situations
like this.

Well, that's just a few disorganized thoughts I have on this topic...
on the flight home. Wifi on an airplane, just $5. Kinda odd, but
quite useful too!  Thanks for your comments on this. I am glad we all
care about these issues so much. By the way, if you don't mind I
might paste this onto the coffeed thread because it raises good
points -Tom

-Tom