[Homeroast] Quest M3

Steve Sakoman sakoman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 17:53:23 CDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 3:33 PM,  <raymanowen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ricky's learning curve? Ricky's will be preceded by those of Tom Owen and
> the M-3's manufacturer and brokers who, according to Tom's video, are vexed
> by the machine's proclivity to shell out heating elements.
>
> It's none of my business, but electric toasters and coffee pots seem to have
> solved the very primary problem of large inrush currents involved in
> repeated hard-starting of electric heating devices even from cold to red
> heat without a sophisticated soft-start switch or other complication.
>
> One of my first introductions to the QM-3 was Tom's video. It might as well
> have been captioned "Here's a New Drum Roaster that is currently SNAFU, but
> should be debugged soon.

I would hate for the Quest to get a black eye for issues that occurred
during beta testing. Tom and the manufacturer have both stated that
this was an issue that came up during testing, and is now a solved
problem.  I am certain that Tom wouldn't be selling this machine if he
felt that his customers would be troubled by an issue like this.

As far as I can see, the manufacturer gave excellent service to those
who were bitten by the issue, and also changed the design to eliminate
the issue.  And they did it "without a sophisticated soft-start switch
or other complication"

I'm *very* happy with the machine.

Steve