[Homeroast] A difference of degree....

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Thu Oct 28 06:13:11 CDT 2010

On Oct 26, 2010, at 10:51 AM, Tom Ulmer wrote:

> Maybe my roasting process has evolved askew - I am curious how do you roast
> without hearing cracks?

With heat.
Seriously, cracks do not roast the beans.
Hearing the cracks is a good guide for the roasting process, especially when you're roasting with full manual control, but you can also know a lot about the stages of roasting by other means, such as smoke, appearance of the beans, and watching the temperature/heat input to know when you're hitting the sivitz bumps.

The iRoast just makes too much noise to hear the cracks, a common complaint.
-
allon