[Homeroast] GCQRI ???

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 11:05:15 CDT 2010

Interesting, but leery of starting with the plant without thinking of
what the plant is eating. There can be a half billion living organisms
in a teaspoon of healthy soil. This is how the soil can be encourage
to break down. Adding fertilizers in a dead soil will limit the origin
flavors we cherish and is costly. Several farms I work with(not coffee
farms) have had great success spraying a compost tea brew to the plant
at certain times and especially getting it on the ground. It is
extremely cost effective and simple to make. The new approach to soil
health/life is the best thing going in farming and sustainability and
foremost taste.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee
<sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com> wrote:
> The first presenter was Dr Vincent Petiard who worked in plant science for
> Nestle for 25 years, arguing for focused research in quality at the level of
> plant material.
>
> He outlined Nescafes quality research program, amazing in it's breadth, to
> trace quality from plant genome through the final result, the cup. Nestle
> can actually get enough genetic material from a final roasted product on the
> shelf to determined what cultivar the coffee came from, and they can track
> each container shipment coming in this way, if they want to.
>
> The funniest thing is the break right after his speech had "Kenya" coffee in
> a big thermal container, and it tasted like typical watery institutional
> coffee. I wanted to ask him if we can check it is really Kenya! Practical
> applications...
> --
> -Tom

> Roasting