[Homeroast] new subject cleaning the behmor

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 16:50:52 CDT 2010

Claus,

I have not noticed a build up of the lint or dust that is described in the
critical update on the Behmor Site (
http://behmor.com/pdf/Manual_Update_3.1-Interior_Maintenance_and_DC_Fan.pdf)
but I do remove the right side panel about every three months and clean the
dust and chaff out.  I have an attachment on my shop vac that tapers to a
long, narrow tube that I will feed down along the openings to the other side
and I try and vacuum and blow out with a can of dusting air any chaff that
gets stuck behind the control board.  The control board is right behind the
right side panel on my Behmor, can't miss it.

I also take some simple green and clean the build up of oils on the exhaust
vent.  I once took off the whole back to get to the long cylindrical
squirrel cage fan to clean that out but didn't see much in there so I
haven't been back to that part of the roaster since.

I have read enough emails about different roasters, though, to know that
chaff likes to get into knocks and crannies so I think it is worth the
effort to pull the panel off on the right side.

My dad gave me a monster shop-vac (Greenlee stainless steel job) that sits
next to me in front of my bench ready to clean up all the flying chaff and
cool the beans when I dump them out of the drum.  It comes in handy.

-Chris