[Homeroast] Quest M3 tryer usage tips

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Mon Oct 25 12:50:14 CDT 2010

Steve - The Quest trier is difficult to use for smell, since you can
pull more than a couple beans out at a time. For sight it works,
given that it is so small. I have a nice string daylight bulb placed
right near the front and it works wonders to improve your perceptions
of the coffee in the trier. I think with that and the macro images on
the site (we are also in the midst of producing some printed
resources too), you can get a long way. In 30 more roasts, it will
make more sense. The most critical time to use the trier is right at
the end of the roast and with the Quest I simply remove coffee and
dump it into the cooling tray - a lot of pro roasters do that too.
It's faster than trying to return the coffee to the drum, and if you
are 20 seconds from ending the roast, the few lighter beans are not
going to have an impact on the cup.

I just did a couple Quest batches this AM too. Sometimes I have 1 or
2 samples to roast and it is much better than firing up the 3 barrel
Probat. It's kind of amazing (but not recommended!) to have a small
drum roaster that can do 125 grams to City+ in 5 minutes!!! Not that
you want to at all, but I did somewhat by accident and had to re-do
it (10 minutes on second roast). But the fact that you can, that you
have some BTUs to throw at the coffee if and when you want, is great.
I am still debating where to drill a tiny hole in the door of the
roast chamber to place a thermocouple right in the coffee during
roasting. Don't want it to close the drum...

Tom

>On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Allon Stern <allon at radioactive.org> wrote:
>>
>>  On Oct 23, 2010, at 10:56 PM, Steve Sakoman wrote:
>>
>>>  Though I've been home roasting for quite a few years, I've never had a
>>>  roaster with a tryer.
>>
>>  When I do a heat gun roast, all I have to do is look down -
>>nothing blocking the view of the beans :D
>>
>>>  Is there any online source of solid info on how to make use of a
>>>  tryer, and what beans changes one should look for?
>>
>>  I'd start here:
>>  http://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting-VisualGuideV2.php
>>
>>  I think the descriptions of the physical characteristics as the
>>bean goes thorugh first crack are most useful.
>
>Both you and Mike suggested the same resource, and it is a good one.
>
>I basically recreated these data points by using the tryer to pull a
>few beans at each stage and laid them out on a sheet of white paper.
>
>It is quite interesting to see the transformations right in front of
>you.  Not sure yet how I will use this in day to day roasting, but it
>was quite educational!
>
>I really like the M3 so far.  Having complete control of heat and air
>is a "good thing".  I also like that there is plenty of heat available
>for half pound roasts, unlike the Hottop which seems to struggle to
>finish in a reasonable time.
>
>Steve

-Tom