[Homeroast] Quest M3 tryer usage tips

Steve Sakoman sakoman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 12:34:51 CDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Allon Stern <allon at radioactive.org> wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2010, at 10:56 PM, Steve Sakoman wrote:
>
>> Though I've been home roasting for quite a few years, I've never had a
>> roaster with a tryer.
>
> When I do a heat gun roast, all I have to do is look down - nothing blocking the view of the beans :D
>
>> Is there any online source of solid info on how to make use of a
>> tryer, and what beans changes one should look for?
>
> I'd start here:
> http://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting-VisualGuideV2.php
>
> I think the descriptions of the physical characteristics as the bean goes thorugh first crack are most useful.

Both you and Mike suggested the same resource, and it is a good one.

I basically recreated these data points by using the tryer to pull a
few beans at each stage and laid them out on a sheet of white paper.

It is quite interesting to see the transformations right in front of
you.  Not sure yet how I will use this in day to day roasting, but it
was quite educational!

I really like the M3 so far.  Having complete control of heat and air
is a "good thing".  I also like that there is plenty of heat available
for half pound roasts, unlike the Hottop which seems to struggle to
finish in a reasonable time.

Steve