[Homeroast] Behmor frustrations

Robert Yoder robotyonder at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 21 15:23:55 CDT 2010

Thanks for your reply, Chris,

Until recently, I had been staying with P2 (half-pound setting) for my 1/5 to 1/4 pound roasts.  It was also true that I hardly ever noticed any particular roast odor in my kitchen (which has a pretty strong rangehood, under which I place the Behmor to roast).

Roasts seemed too fast, and in an attempt to slow them down I started using the slower profiles (P4 and P5 (one-pound setting).  I also began a partial door-opening routine at first first crack. I began to have 12 to 13 minute roasts (hooray) and noticed depths of flavors and aromas never before achieved.  I thought:  at last, I've begun to get somewhere!  UNFORTUNATELY, at about the same time the Behmor afterburner quit working, so what we have here is an utterly confounded experiment: Profile, afterburner function and percent time door open after first crack.  Yet another glitch:  I mounted a thermocouple, but it was bad, so that info was not available.

Now I will replace the afterburner, replace the bad thermocouple, and start all over again.

(sigh)

What an interesting ride!

Happy Roasting,

robert