[Homeroast] Behmor frustrations

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 11:26:01 CDT 2010

Robert Yoder said:

I noted your comment"One other thing you may want to check is to make sure
> that your afterburner is working".  What's your take on the the effect on a
> roast?

It's interesting, the afterburner kicks on at the same time as the fans to
help with smoke suppression.  The afterburner itself generates heat at the
top of the Behmor and I've always noticed that when it kicks on, the temp in
the Behmor will spike and then level off.  This occurs after the ramp up to
temp during the drying phase and I think the temperature initially increases
because of the increased airflow but then it results in cooler operation.
I've heard of some people who've removed the afterburner when they roast in
an area where smoke isn't a concern, but I'm not quite sure what this does.
It probably results in more of the current flowing to the heating elements
near the beans and less smoke burning heat at the top of the oven which may
be good for roast profiles.  I was actually running the Behmor without the
Afterburner for a while because it had broken and I didn't know it and back
then I think that I remember after I fixed it that it cut down the time to
first crack so it's something I'd check.  Others may have a more informed
opinion on this.

Hank Perkins Said:

 My specific issues are an inability to achieve a good dark roast. I have
> never gotten a good oily beans out of my Behmor.  I also have suffered from
> my roasts being uneven. We are not talking about a few unroasted beans here.
> IMHO one of the big problems I have with the Behmor now is drum speed.  My
> experience the only profiles that are useable are p1 and p3..

Ah, I tend to stay away from dark, oily beans so this is venturing outside
my experience, but I do know that it can take a few days for the oils to
come out after roasting, depending on the roast method.  If your going for
dark and oily, P1 or P3 is a good bet.  I think lowering your batch size
will also help with getting the beans to roast this dark as well as the
unevenness your experiencing.  I found that when I lowered the batch size to
10 - 12 oz and charted my P1 roasts on BehmorThing the first time through to
find out when first crack would occur, I could target the temp drop on P2
pretty well to occur at or at about 30 seconds prior to first crack to
extend the roast development between first and second for a good roast.
Sometimes it took a bit of pre-roast time where I'd start the Behmor for up
to two minutes with the beans in there and then restart with my P2 profile
so that the 2nd leg temp drop would occur close to first crack.  Lately,
though, I've been just using P1, P3 and P4 and opening the door to control
the temps when first crack hits.

Good luck and happy roasting!

-Chris