[Homeroast] Behmor frustrations

Greg Hollrigel ghollrigel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 08:34:21 CDT 2010

Hank:

Not being an electrical type, I'm guessing you're not getting enough juice
into the roaster.  I use the same profile and easily get into 2nd crack like
others have noted.  This is especially easy with P1 on the 1lb setting.  I'm
guessing that since you are having trouble even on the P1 profile, the
Behmor is not heating up enough.

Given that, my favorite profile these days is P3 B 1lb for 20:00 using about
12-13 oz of greens.  I do a 90 second preheat on P1 as well.  The preheat
definitely improved my consistency in getting where I wanted in the roast.
You may give that a try.  It basically is starting the roast on P1 for 90
seconds, then pressing stop.  Then pick the roast profile you want (e.g., P3
B 1lb).

Good luck.  I have to say it is possible to get great roasts on the Behmor.
I've been on a good streak lately, except for 1 batch of Brazil that I
underroasted b/c I couldn't see the timer in the sunlight.

Greg