[Homeroast] Behmor frustrations

David Rossell drossell at NorwoodSchool.org
Tue Oct 19 07:22:11 CDT 2010

I usually roast 12 oz. on the 1 lb. P3B setting (20 minutes) and have no problem getting into second crack.  I usually have one minute between the end of first crack and the start of second.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Hank Perkins [mailto:hankperkins at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:43 AM
To: A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this list, available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html
Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Behmor frustrations

I have gotten beans into the second crack for upwards of a 1:10.  I normally roast just under a pound, 14 oz.  the results are very inconsistent  One day I get to the second crack the next day I don't.
The only profile I have had any success with is P3.  I have tried P4 and P5 and had terrible results with the beans turning out way under roasted.  With P1 and more so with P2 I have also had trouble getting the beans into the second crack.  If I try to roast at at level below the second crack the beans turn out grassy.

When I was only roasting for drip it was P3 B with requiring a full run to a full run with 4 pluses to add time.  Almost always I roast as much as I can.

Now I can still get this level of roast but the boldness is lacking.
At 5 days the coffee is quite good.  Much better than what is available locally but after my visit tot he Drowsy Poet in Pensacola I know just how good the coffee can be and I want to get my self closer to that mark.