[Homeroast] Paper towel filters

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Mon Oct 18 18:34:41 CDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 06:26:05PM -0400, Clay Spence wrote:
> I knew that ;)
>
> Really, I did. Is bleaching so bad for us or the environment? I can imagine
> that it might be.

Long ago, back when white filters really were bleached in the
chlorinated sense of the word, I did some comparison of various white
and brown filters.  As bad as the paper towel effect may be, I found it
less objectionable than the nasty chemical taints of the bleached
filters.

Twenty years later I guess at least all the good filters are bleached
using less offensive means and the balance may be different.  So far
I've (mostly unintentionally) compared the white and brown Filtropa
filters, and they both seemed good to me.  I think I still have some of
the browns tucked away, maybe some day I'll have too much free time and
try the comparison again, see if months of using the white ones have
undesensitized me to the "woody" notes others complain of.  But frankly
I'm more likely to exert myself about the difference between the white
Filtropas and the Bonmac hemps that are making their way here.  If I
get excited about it, maybe I can run down a box of those Melitta
bamboo things, too.  ;-)

--
Microsoft, which used to say all the time that the software business
was ruthlessly competitive, is now matched against a competitor whose