[Homeroast] Heat Gun method (was List Traffic at Zero)

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Mon Oct 18 16:58:57 CDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 08:37:04AM -0400, Allon Stern wrote:
> I don't think that ambient is such a problem when you've got enough
> heat, and an enclosed enough area.  I HG roast in cold weather.  It

I believe I did think about some variation on the
popper-in-cardboard-box trick, but after the time the plate under the
bowl divided itself in two with a loud crack I was leery of having any
sort of paper-based material that near.  And as interesting a learning
experience as it was, the gun & bowl was never the long term plan here.

> allows you to slow your roast more easily, and when the cooling time
> comes, just plunge your bowl into the snow and stir the beans around

Heh, did the snow-assisted cooling thing on the very first roast.  It
finally got going on me, and I wanted to stop it, and - oh, there's
snow a few steps away!  I'm not certain I did that again, as I had a
metal pan ready and waiting after that.

--
These are people who panic when the power goes off
and they're trapped on an escalator.  -- John Walker