[Homeroast] roast quality > Jimma

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Mon Oct 18 05:37:45 CDT 2010

On Oct 16, 2010, at 2:06 PM, miKe mcKoffee wrote:

> Not trying to put a damper or dis any home roasting appliance, they is what
> they is and can do what they can do. And most assuredly they can be capable
> of producing roasts better and of course fresher than most of the crap out
> there. Just not realistic to expect them to be capable of matching the best
> out there. (Not saying my roasts are in the best category, but I try and
> have been told by others they are...)

Going from fighting my thermoblock and producing decent espresso to a commercial machine, I find myself suddenly liberated, and able to fine tune excellence instead of fighting to achieve it.

I would guess that fighting home roast rigs for years and transitioning to a commercial machine brings a whole different perspective once you get to play with the big toys than someone who starts out on commercial machines, no? I'd say that it gives a unique understanding of the processes at work as opposed to benefiting from someone else's hard work developing a machine and profiles and pushing a button, twiddling thumbs, then dumping, cooling, bagging, and selling.

It would be nice to make that leap someday, but sadly, it isn't in my business plan :/

I guess I need to start saving for a roasting shed and a small machine.....

(There *IS* a roaster built in 1931 for sale nearby, which was used in a coffee shop here in town for many years before they closed. A linear actuator here, a solenoid there, a thermocouple here, here, and here, and a few industrial controllers later, it might make an AWESOME machine)

-
allon