[Homeroast] Are there coffees that make good espresso with little rest?

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Mon Oct 18 05:25:28 CDT 2010

On Oct 15, 2010, at 9:10 PM, raymanowen at gmail.com wrote:

> My experience is that, as the flavors develop CO2 is being evolved and I get
> a little puff of "Hello!" each time I unseal the jar. After that*, the
> flavor remains stable and I don't detect any staling.
> [* 12 - 14 days has been the absolute max. Assume the CO2 in situ preserves
> the "freshness."] Starting from within the bean, the CO2 displaces and
> prevents the ingress of O2 molecules
>
> Nothing is going to preserve these Ethiopia Organic Shakiso Sidamo "Madura"
> C++ beyond maybe 10 days. They really came alive as a Steinway drip this
> morning, ground at 35 and soaked up to ~ 5 minutes total.

Staling is simply an evolution of the flavors as chemical reactions take place. At some point, we call the beans "stale" because they no longer tastes good, but these reactions are also part of what brings some of the most exciting flavors to the front.  Oxygen is only one player in the staling game - there are also plenty of other compounds in the coffee which are continuing to react in subtle ways after the conclusion of the post-roast cooling cycle.  Drowning your beans in CO2 in a bid to prevent them from reacting with O2 may prevent some reactions, true, but other will continue. If only we understood each reaction and how each affects the flavor, and how to accelerator or stall each reaction, we could tune our coffee experience to within a microsecond of perfection.

Drink quickly before it fades.

-
allon