[Homeroast] Sour smelling & tasting beans...

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Sun Oct 17 12:34:15 CDT 2010

On Oct 17, 2010, at 12:56 PM, Sheila McKinnon wrote:

> I sloooooowed the roast times down and it is working much better.  I had the SR300 with no temp control or fan speed.  The SR500 has both fan and heat settings.   I went to MED heat and mid-point fan speed.   Working much better.  I take it that oily beans mean 'over-raosted'???  The green bean supplier where I purchase my beans and this roaster stressed the need to take the roast into 2nd crack and get a sheen (oily coating) to the beans - no rest time - just cool for a few minutes , grind, and enjoy.    They do not have a very good opinion of the Behmor either.

Might I suggest changing your green bean supplier?
There's a very nice one in Oakland, CA which does mail order for very reasonable shipping, has great prices and amazing quality beans. They even host a mailing list where you can get all kinds of information about roasting.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/

(sorry for the commercial nature of this post. I hope it's acceptable to the hosts of the list)

:D
-
allon