[Homeroast] roast quality > Jimma

miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Sat Oct 16 13:06:17 CDT 2010

Lowering your target EOR may help and if you haven't already upgraded your
Behmor with a faster drum motor that will help too. But (unfortunately) it's
folly to expect a roaster like the Behmor to be able to match the roast
quality  of a commercial drum roaster. Possibly come close with extensive
modifications including increased drum speed, variable user controllable
heat, variable user controllable air flow, bean mass and environmental temp
monitoring so you know what you're trying to control and faster cooling but
no way with a stock Behmor. Homeroasters with many years experience with
many homeroasting methods of about every sort who have upgraded to a true
small commercial roaster like USRC 0.5k will attest increased roast quality
versus any common home roast method or appliance. HotTop comes closest but
even it can't quite match my USRC roasts. Can't speak about the new Quest M3
roast quality but even it needs some modifications like adding bean mass
monitoring. Some reports over the past year from early adopters like Another
Jim (Schulman) indicate it's roasts just may be up to par.

Not trying to put a damper or dis any home roasting appliance, they is what
they is and can do what they can do. And most assuredly they can be capable
of producing roasts better and of course fresher than most of the crap out
there. Just not realistic to expect them to be capable of matching the best
out there. (Not saying my roasts are in the best category, but I try and
have been told by others they are...)

Slave to the Bean  miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/