[Homeroast] Jimma

ricky carter rickylc99 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 11:02:42 CDT 2010

Just brewed up some of MiKe's roast from Compass.  BTW, thanks for the
speedy delivery!  Ordered on Tuesday, Roasted and shipped on Wednesday,
arrived at my door in Michigan on Saturday, Awesome!

Upon visual comparison and munch of the beans it appears I did, in fact, go
a little darker roast than MiKe intended.  I attribute this to the Behmor
"coast".  I think I will try stopping the roast 10 to 15 seconds earlier on
the next batch, 3:00 or 3:05 minutes after start of 1st rather than 3:15.

In the cup, well, MiKe, you are a professional and it shows.  There is a
distinct roundness and smoothness to the flavor profile at 3 days out
that was lacking in my roast along with a clarity to the cup flavors.  Wile
the Behmor roast produced similar flavor characteristics, they seemed muddy
and jumbled in comparison.

Could this be a result of the roast going just a wee bit to far?

The big difference really seems to be the sweetness @ 3 days out.  The
Behmor roast paled in level of sweetness until today, day 7.

Any suggestions on what part of the roast profile to alter to adjust this
flavor component?  Will a lower finish temp take care of it?

Thanks to All

Rick