[Homeroast] Are there coffees that make good espresso with little rest?

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 20:10:17 CDT 2010

Mike, Prior Planning Prevents P***-Poor Performance. You are in the enviable
position of being able to experience the flavor progression immediately
post-roast to the point where it's maximum and no further change takes
place.

My experience is that, as the flavors develop CO2 is being evolved and I get
a little puff of "Hello!" each time I unseal the jar. After that*, the
flavor remains stable and I don't detect any staling.
[* 12 - 14 days has been the absolute max. Assume the CO2 in situ preserves
the "freshness."] Starting from within the bean, the CO2 displaces and
prevents the ingress of O2 molecules

Nothing is going to preserve these Ethiopia Organic Shakiso Sidamo "Madura"
C++ beyond maybe 10 days. They really came alive as a Steinway drip this
morning, ground at 35 and soaked up to ~ 5 minutes total.

Now it unleashes dark chocolate as the Steinway cools! They're at 7 days
right now. Still "puffed" when I unsealed it, which means it's still
developing and evolving CO2. Hide and watch.

The Fiver may be a large-enough sample to explore the roasting/ aging/
grinding/ brewing facets of this exquisite bean - repeat - May Be
enough...  This is crazy.

Then there's the Fiver my Celtic Critic honey ordered right after we had the
first sip of Sulawesi AA Wet-Process Toraja from the literal fly speck-sized
sampler. Thanks, honey. Now we can have some fun with it and find out what's
happening on the larger scale of tuning all the variables- at least the ones
that occur to us.

Cheers, Mabuhay, Iechyd da -RayO, aka Opa!

Got Grinder?