[Homeroast] Are there coffees that make good espresso with little rest?

Bryan Wray bwray_thatcoffeeguy at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 10:44:31 CDT 2010

Nope, not really, lol.
Depends on what you're into, but for the most part it's pointless to pull it before 4 days rest.  It shouldn't be "bad" before then, but it's just going to be a tiny sliver of what you could have if you actually let it go out 7-12 days like it should.
Darker roasts are going to do better at less rest because you are breaking down the cell walls further and allowing them to deteriorate at an accelerated pace, but even then, before 3 days is kind of a shame.
Draw a "roast more" line on your storage containers.  If you drop below the line, roast more.  Or roast enough for 2 weeks tomorrow and roast on (example) Saturdays from now on going forward, roasting enough for a full week every time.
It's great to roast your own, save a little money and have a new hobby, but you do still have to structure and plan ahead to get the most out of it.  Otherwise everything just kind of tastes like sharp, effervescent lemon grass and plain ole "brown."
-bry

Bryan Wray

Compass Coffee

360.831.1480

Bryan at CompassCoffeeRoasting.com

It is my hope that people realize that coffee is more than just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art- Chris Owens