[Homeroast] Jimma

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 13:46:52 CDT 2010

Generally with an Ethiopian that I want a light roast I look for a
fast ramp from 300f bean temp or as the beans turn from green to
yellow to just before 1st crack then I slow the roast through first
crack to a crawl but not stall at a rate of approx. 4-7 degrees
average rise per min. slower side for espresso and the faster side for
brewed. The 1st crack will more subtle in sound. And stretch the time
approx. 3.5-4min for brew 3.5-5mins. espresso from start of 1st(start
in earnest) to dump for city or city+. With the Behmor P1/100% will
give you the faster ramp needed as long as you keep the batch size
down then you have to do the door open and close trick to slow down
just before first until finished. Going too slow during the ramp will
lose some of the sweetness and going too fast through 1st and beyond
can lose flavor development and can cause some sourness/unroasted
centers.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Hank Perkins <hankperkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have not been successful in locating the temps and times for thedifgerent roast profiles for the Behmor. They are not in the manual and I have not found them on the Sweet Marias site or the Behmor site. If you can refer me to a place where I can get these I would be grateful.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 14, 2010, at 10:56 AM, raymanowen at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> " I wish they would provide temps and times for each profile."
>>
>> My error- I thought a profile Was a map of roaster times and temperatures
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Hank Perkins <hankperkins at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Rickey,
>>>
>>> Can you give me the specifics of the roast profile in the Behmor?  I
>>> have 10 pounds of the Jimma coming.  I need to know when you opened
>>> the door, how much you opened the door, and for how long the door was
>>> open.  I have had the Behmor for about 6 months but have not done much
>>> with the roast profiles.  I wish they would provide temps and times
>>> for each profile.
>>>
>>> Thanks!!

>>> strictly
>>> roasting):

>>> PID iRoast.
>>> can't wait to try this. Pending rest, of course! Oh, that's the hardest
>>> part!

>> --
>> Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...

Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/