[Homeroast] Jimma

Dave Ehrenkranz daveehr at mac.com
Wed Oct 13 22:29:32 CDT 2010

I ordered 20 lbs of this Sunday and it arrived today! Interesting it came in 4 five pound plastic bags and they included a 20LB cloth bag. My experience is 20 lb orders normally come in the cloth bag. I assume they have already put this bean into smaller quantities as they are running low on it. Glad I got my order in. Thanks Mike!
I had been following this bean on the forum.
http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1340&start=40
I was trying to decide if I should order some Jimma (it became available just after I ordered many beans from SM) as the 20 Lbs of the Ethiopia Gr.3 Dry Process Yirga Cheffe I ordered last Dec is almost gone.

I tried to copy Ricky's method below. I used 227 grams of greens in my Behmor. I used setting P1, pre-heated the roaster with Chaffe tray (original chaffe tray - I don't like the new ones) in roaster. I used profile P1 with a starting time of 16 minutes. 1C started with about 3min 49 sec left on timer.  Based on what others said I opened the door often to try to stop the roast from taking off. I thought 1C was ending with about 1 min left and stopped the roast (hit cool button) with 55 seconds left of timer. I thought I may have heard more cracks after the cool cycle started.

I ended up with 193 grams of beans which look look to me they may be at FC.

Now I will try to resist sampling and let them sit for a couple of days.

I agree the P2 profile may be the thing for this bean if we can hit the timing correctly.

dave