[Homeroast] Jimma

ricky carter rickylc99 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 06:26:25 CDT 2010

I shot for the profile MiKe was kind enough to share:

For drum roaster:
300f 6min
405f 12min Start of true 1st, not earlies
432f 15:15 EOR
(bean mass temps)

Of course in the Behmor good luck getting anything more than a rough approx
of the times, no good way to monitor bean mass temps.

226 gram load,  P1

I started opening the door just before the 1st outlier pops of 1st (you can
hear some beans hiss), time would have been around 11:30.  I open the door
pretty far, almost to the 1st stop, around a 45 degree angle.  only for a
few seconds at this point to prevent the beans from gaining too much more
energy.

Once 1st started in earnest, i opened the door to 45 degrees on and off
pretty much all the way through 1st. It's hard to tell you exactly, and I'm
not sure it's advisable as your roasting environment is going to be
different.

I hit the 1st crack time with this load, and was able to stretch to his
recommended 3:15 to EOR without hitting second crack, but this bean
definitely points out the limitations of the Behmor.  It might also be worth
experimenting more with P2 to see if this profile can be done more
consistently on that setting.

I got a decent cup, drinking now @ about 60 hours post roast.  Not perfect,
may be some stalling issues, but decent.  Maybe I can order a lb of roasted
beans from MiKe to compare against!  :D

I think a Quest M3 or Hottop would give much better results on this bean,
the Behmor is great for the right bean, but it's not going to do justice to
a bean that doesn't fit the "mold" .

Good Luck!