[Homeroast] Roasting with a Pro

Hank Perkins hankperkins at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 23:20:41 CDT 2010

I was in Pensacola FL over the weekend and stopped at The Drowsy Poet
on Brent Lane.  First off this is a serious coffee shop.  I got to
know the guy that runs the place.  Serious coffee guy who attended
coffee school in Portland OR before they opened.  When I came in he
was running the espresso machine.  He knew how to pull a real shot.
While talking to him he invited me to come back Monday morning and
hang out with the head roaster.  They have a Diedrich roaster which
they run Monday through Friday.  Watching this guy roast changed my
view of roasting.  He kept a log of the roaster state every 30 seconds
during the roast.   He told me he had logs for every batch he had ever
roasted. That big roaster had me drooling.  Wow what control, what a
beast.

Now I am wishing I could control my Behmor the way he could on the
Diedrich.  It was truly fascinating.

One thing it did confirm, I definitely want a small shop roaster.  Now
just to figure out how to do it.

If you hit the FL Gulf Coast the Drowsy Poet is a must stop.