[Homeroast] Sour smelling & tasting beans...

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 18:57:39 CDT 2010

Sheila,

Based with my experience with air poppers (when I was first roasting,
several years ago), it sounds like you are roasting too fast. It
sounds like the outside is roasted, perhaps even burnt (are your
roasted beans oily?), while the insides are not roasted. A "racing"
roast, where first crack blends into second, would also tend to
confirm my suspician. Sour taste, especially thin sour taste, sounds
like under-roasted centers to me.

For the heck of it, cut the amount that you are roasting in the
FreshRoast in half, and see what happens. I suspect your roast will
take longer, with a more pronounced pause between first and second
crack.

On the other hand, if you are not seeing any of these things,
disregard this post.

Brian