[Homeroast] Coffee and Milk

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Sat Oct 9 14:51:05 CDT 2010

I knew it was a different world as far back as 1992, when I attended my law school reunion in Tacoma, WA (I'd lived in Seattle for 7 years, B.C.: "before cappuccino"). At dinner in my hotel, it was time for coffee.  The waiter asked if I'd like a latte, and which flavor. I replied, "double espresso."  He said, "not even a cappuccino?"  I reiterated I wanted a double espresso, nothing in it.   "Macchiato?" he asked.  "Nope, nothing on it either," I replied.

He paused for a moment and then sighed, "you're not from around here, are you?"

Consumer Reports, in its whole-bean coffee tests a few months ago, found that when drunk black, the lighter roasts from Green Mountain and Millstone fared best; but with milk, the darkest roasts came out on top.  Lighter roasts have more nuance and acidity, which disappear in milk; the darker roasts, by contrast, have their more objectionable carbon notes tempered by milk, allowing other varietal characteristics (such as survive dark roasting) to remain intact.