[Homeroast] Coffee and Milk

John M. Howison johnmhowison at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 14:07:18 CDT 2010

Maybe I should have made the subject "coffee and milk" instead of
"milk and coffee."  Fortunately, my heresy provoked no invitations to
duel.

I've learned from the responses to my view. Am particularly intrigued
by the prospect of one of Mike's decadent desserts.  Am impressed that
most respondents cling to the idea that if there's any coffee in it,
it's coffee, and any additive is an adulterant, maybe interesting,
probably hostile.  For me coffee is one thing and cafe-au-lait is
another;  my query was about different versions of the latter.  Didja
ever, ever hear a Frenchman/woman ask for straight coffee with his/her
croissant, or ask for a demi-tasse blanche?  Didja ever hear a Greek,
Turk or A-rab ask for milk or yoghurt with his breeky?  Ever hear
anybody call a glass of cordial a pousse-cafe-au-lait?

I'm grateful that not even the purists got huffy, as I do when at one
of the coffee bars that have only recently found my area I'm offered a
shot of fruit syrup in my coffee --and for just $.25.

--
Contra muros, mater rubicolla