[Homeroast] Drum rotation > Jimma > PID iRoast

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 10:19:15 CDT 2010

Pro roaster design has been tweaked for many years. Much effort, r&d,
$$$ has gone into fin/vane design and adjusting to the proper speed
for the design. I'm very happy with my hybrid homebuilt but got a
Behmor (thank you John) early after it's release to play around with.
There's much to like about it. But as most 1st models it has some
design issues that can be improved upon. Drum speed it certainly one.
Agitation is very important for quality of roast along with
efficiency. Increasing drum speed has allowed for improvements in both
these areas(I'm running 50rpm but also have a 30rpm I could try and
compare). I still haven't had a chance to really test the chaff issue
Tom mentioned but in the few roasts I've done it didn't start a chaff
issue that was bad enough for me to notice. I've thought about trying
to lower the floor a bit  and redesign the chaff tray but just haven't
gotten around to it. For anyone who didn't see my recent mod. post you
can check out my blog below.

Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/