[Homeroast] Drum rotation > Jimma > PID iRoast

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Sat Oct 9 09:57:55 CDT 2010

On Oct 9, 2010, at 10:39 AM, Martin Maney wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 11:16:04PM -0600, raymanowen at gmail.com wrote:
>> I've been wondering how to fabricate and install a thermal measuring device
>> that would Not be affected by the passing hot air that got the little orbs
>> hot in the first place. Wouldn't they be on the median between the incoming
>> air and exhaust air temperatures? Something is exactly that hot- I say it's
>> the beans.
>
> Non seq.  The difference between the incoming and outgoing air temps
> relates to the energy being imparted to the beans and chamber, not to
> the temperature of the beans.  Not sayin' there isn't a connection at
> all, but it's not as simple as that average.

It's an interesting concept. Of course there is more than the beans in the equation - there is the whole roasting chamber as well and it's shedding of heat to the surrounding area.

Airflow has an impact on the roast - note how the 800W Z&D manages as compared to the iRoast's 1400W.
The Z&D uses lower airflow, but doesn't use the air to agitate the beans.

-
allon