[Homeroast] Coffee and milk

mary deem catechumenes at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 19:33:10 CDT 2010

Mike McKofee  - Thanks for sharing that decadent recipe....will have to
modify it slightly since I have only a moka pot and a French Press.

I drink mainly café au lait which is to say strongly brewed coffee with
heated milk.  I use 2% most of the time since I absolutely detest skim.  I
am with Mike on the skim milk having few if any culinary applications.
Having said that, I do find that using whole milk masks too much of the
coffee - for me at least.

I have found that milk can both obscure and bring out certain naunces in
coffee.  For example, some of the citrusyflavors and acid get obscured by
the addition of milk.  Conversely grain/malt and chocolate flavors become
more noticable with the addition of milk - perhapes because the acid is
reduced?

To add a new twist to this thread, I have found that raw unhomoginzed /
unpasturized  milk, while being lovely to drink, is far too creamy for
coffee.

DJ - Those Skinny Cow French Vanilla Truffle Bars sound divine....

John - Thanks for starting such an interesting thread :)