[Homeroast] Heat Gun method (was List Traffic at Zero)

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Fri Oct 8 12:31:02 CDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 06:08:46AM +0200, John Crippen wrote:
> My go-to link to explain HG/DR to converts is
>
> http://www.homeroaster.com/heatgun.html
>
> Good luck with it!

I was roasting with gun & bowl for somewhat more than a month when I
first got started.  Unfortunately most of that was the month of
January, and the unheated (but enclosed) porch was so cold, and varied
so much, that it made roasting mostly a matter of trying to overcome
the ambient temperature.  Eventally I grew tired of this struggle,
entertaining though it was, and got a boring little roaster that I
could operate indoors without simulating a firplace with a blocked flue
(the Nesco).  And so I came in from the cold...

Before I came in, however, I freed up the heat gun holding hand by
taping the gun to the center shaft of a camera tripod.  This allowed
reasonable control of height and tilt, and between this more consistent
setup and paying attention to the ambient temperature on the porch, I
was getting reasonably predictable results at the end.  Three times out
of four, anwyay.  ;-)

Here are a few pictures from what might have been the last gun & bowl
roasting session:

http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=862&p=4168#p4168

--
John Searle: Michel, you're so clear in conversation; why is your
written work so obscure?