[Homeroast] Coffee and milk

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Fri Oct 8 07:48:22 CDT 2010

On Oct 8, 2010, at 8:14 AM, John M. Howison wrote:

> Recognizing the prospect of starting a few arguments, I'd like to
> promote my view that for those who want milk in their coffee, skim
> milk (rather than whole) allows maximum enjoyment of the subtle
> flavors of good coffee, brewed or expressed.

Any milk in coffee will mask the subtle flavors.

When it comes to milk drinks (espresso), the focus is on the milk, not the espresso. The mouthfeel of properly steamed whole milk cannot be beat with lower fat substitutes.

Protein froths. Fat inhibits frothing. This lets skim milk foam easily, but you get a stiff foam that doesn't offer much else.
Fat is flavor.

For those who would rather focus on the subtle flavors of coffee, I'd recommend avoiding milk altogether.
-
allon