[Homeroast] Best resting time for espresso

Rubens Gardelli rubens.gardelli at yahoo.it
Tue Oct 5 11:08:39 CDT 2010

Hello, I'm an Italian newbe micro-roaster and barista as well.

My question is simple: what is the "best" resting time after roasting a
coffee for espresso shots?

Here in Italy there are certifications of quality that requires roasters to
proper rest their coffee for at least 7 days, while I read a lot of material
about the peak of flavour being after 24 hours, then slowly descending.

Someone says 3 days, some other says 7 days during the winter, someone says
it depends on humidity and room temperature where the coffe is going to
rest, someone says it depends on the season....

Is there a scientific non-human biased answer to this question?

Thanks.

Rubens Gardelli