[Homeroast] Electrical question on coffee brewers

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Tue Oct 5 13:33:50 CDT 2010

On Oct 5, 2010, at 2:17 PM, Dennis Guyer wrote:

> I hope I can explain my situation properly.  I have a drip coffee brewer that is advertised and being able to heat the water to 195° - 205°.  It is also listed as using 1400 watts.  Using my Kill a Watt meter, it reads somewhere between 1200 and 1250 watts draw.  My line voltage is usually 118v to 120v dropping it around 116v during the brewing process.  The water using a K-Probe is reading 185° for most of the cycle ending at a high of 193°.  My question is - is the brewer defective?  Is the line voltage determining the low readings?  Do I take the brewer back and demand my money back or is this to be expected?

The drop in line voltage will affect the temperature that you can get.

Try it under more ideal circumstances - try an outlet that is not shared with any other circuits that is as close to your breaker panel as you can get, and see if your voltage doesn't sag, and the temp readings are better.

Or if you have a studly enough variac, you can boost the voltage to 120V to compensate for the drop in your wiring.
You might try preheating the water to compensate, or insulating the internal tubing if it runs through the reservoir.

Which brewer is this?
-
allon