[Homeroast] Electrical question on coffee brewers

Dennis Guyer adg22 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 5 13:17:57 CDT 2010

I hope I can explain my situation properly.  I have a drip coffee brewer that is advertised and being able to heat the water to 195° - 205°.  It is also listed as using 1400 watts.  Using my Kill a Watt meter, it reads somewhere between 1200 and 1250 watts draw.  My line voltage is usually 118v to 120v dropping it around 116v during the brewing process.  The water using a K-Probe is reading 185° for most of the cycle ending at a high of 193°.  My question is - is the brewer defective?  Is the line voltage determining the low readings?  Do I take the brewer back and demand my money back or is this to be expected?

Dennis