[Homeroast] Heat Gun method (was List Traffic at Zero)

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Mon Oct 4 13:37:11 CDT 2010

On Sep 27, 2010, at 5:03 PM, Scott Thile wrote:

> I'm using a whirly pop on the gas stove attached to my outside grill.
> Starting to get some decent roasts with it, but I also have a good heat gun
> and might like to try the heat gun method. Any good links where this method
> is documented? I'll have to look around for a large metal bowl.

I use a fry basket nestled inside an aluminum rice cooker bowl, inside of a large shallow stainless bowl.
Whatever you use, don't use teflon, as it will offgas nasty poisonous stuff at high temperatures.

Anyway, I usually start with the heat gun on low for about 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, at a fairly close range, then turn it up to high and modulate the distance according to how I feel the roast is going.

I generally hit 1st crack at around 10 minutes, then finish up by around 14-15.
If you need to go faster, hold the gun closer.
I do around 350-400g roasts.
You will need some way to cool your roast quickly when you're done.

Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=heatgun+roast

for ideas.
-