[Homeroast] Behmor P2 Help

Hank Perkins hankperkins at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 16:43:57 CST 2010

I preheat without the beans for 2 minutes then turn the roaster off.
I let the roaster sit for 30-45 seconds and heat soak before I open
the door to place the beans in the drum.  I have ruined more beans on
P2 than any other setting and don't use P2 any more.  Today I use P1
exclusively and temperature surf with the door open to extend the time
between C1 and C2 or to slow the roast down prior to C1.

I placed my thermocouple probe in the center back of the roast chamber
using Heating and Air aluminum tape.  The results of having the
thermocouple have raised more questions for me than they have
answered. It is somewhat helpful when I open the door to reduce the
temp inside the Behmor.

At this juncture I am not all that satisfied with my Behmor.  Over the
holiday the family disclosed they are giving me a Quest M3 for
Christmas.  I am quite excited about the pending upgrade.

My dissatisfaction with the Behmor is the flavor profiles I am
producing with the roaster. When I was producing coffee only for drip
the Behmor did a fine job.  Now that I am producing coffee exclusively
for espresso I am less than satisfied.  I believe this is due to the
way the Behmor roasts using radiant heat, the afterburner, and air
movement.

Of course it could be that I am just a crappy roaster who has upgrade-itis.

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Dennis Guyer <adg22 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From: "Yakster" <yakster at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Behmor P2 Help
>

>> I went from using P2 for the power drop to just opening the door and
>> watching the thermocouple temperature to mimic a P2 profile but with me
>> controlling when to drop the temps.
>
> Yakster.
>
> I would like to try the probe.  Where do you tape the probe and what will
> take the heat to hold it in place.
>
>> Now, I pre-heat the Behmor without the beans for about 1:30 so that the
>> beans start at about 200 degrees F to try and take some of the seasonal
>> variation out of roasting.
>
> I'm a little confused on the beans at 200 degrees if they are not in the
> Behmor when you start the pre-heat.  Do you mean the interior starts at 200
> degrees and builds from there?
>
> Dennis
>
>> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Dennis Guyer <adg22 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone been using P-2 on the Behmor with success?  I have made two
>>> attempts and feel like I would do better with using P-1 and opening the
>>> door
>>> to slow 1st C.  My last P-2 attempt was 150 grams Panama Finca using 1/2
>>> lb.
>>> C.  I hit 1st. at 9:52 and stopped the roast at 12:07.  It seemed a