[Homeroast] Behmor P2 Help

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 15:53:04 CST 2010

I went from using P2 for the power drop to just opening the door and
watching the thermocouple temperature to mimic a P2 profile but with me
controlling when to drop the temps.

When I was using P2 before, I was roasting 283 g and up and I would first
roast the bean using P1 to see where first would hit.  I'd then program the
Behmor using BehmorThing to figure out the closest profile that fit, A, B,
C, D and if the drop didn't line up right I'd do a pre-roast of up to two
minutes which would push out the temp drop to where I needed it.  I usually
had to do a pre-roast when trying to roast larger batches were first crack
would be pushed out, theoretically you could tune your first crack to occur
right when you want it based on load size, but due to variations such as
external temperatures and voltages, this didn't always work out.  That's a
big reason I stopped using P2 was to take care of the variations, but when
it worked I was happy with it.

Now, I pre-heat the Behmor without the beans for about 1:30 so that the
beans start at about 200 degrees F to try and take some of the seasonal
variation out of roasting.

-Chris