[Homeroast] Whirley Bird Popcorn Popper

Rennie Phillips phillipsrb at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 29 13:40:02 CST 2010

There have been several who have commented on using a heat gun or an air popper to roast their coffee.

For the past 6 to 8 years my brother and I have gotten green coffee beans from Sweet Maria's and roasted them in the stove top popcorn poppers.  My brother used an aluminum popper while I used a stainless steel one I bought from Sweet Maria's.  Both of us installed a temp probe into the popcorn popper.  It really helps to know the temp in the popper which helps determine when the first crack will happen.  Also helps keep track of the rise in the temp in the popper so that it doesn't get too hot too fast.

The hardest part for both of us is getting the roast to stop before the beans go too far.  Both of us prefer our coffee roasted about halfway between first crack and second crack.