[Homeroast] Divots and second crack

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 11:15:26 CST 2010

John,

I can't answer your question, but can offer my experience, which is a start.

I used to roast with a hot-air popcorn popper, which got to second
crack in about 8 minutes. I always took the roast to second crack,
because if I didn't, the interior of the beans would not be roasted
and the coffee would be thin and bitter and awful. I very nearly
always got divots with the hot-air popper.

Now I roast with a heat gun. I seldom go to second crack, but I get to
the end of first crack in 13-14 minutes, so there is not the great
differential between interior and exterior bean temps. When I do go to
second crack (always by accident), I never get divots.

Brian