[Homeroast] Thanksgiving Ramblings

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 15:15:30 CST 2010

Our thanksgiving was nice, with Turkey, Ham, Mac & Cheese, Candied Yams,
Cranberry sauce, potato salad, stuffing, green beans with bacon, cabbage
with ham hocks, apple pie, sweet potato pie, pumpkin spice muffins with
cream cheese frosting, and some other dishes I'm not remembering right now.
It was great to get together with family on Thanksgiving.

I brought over coffee, of course, to prepare in stainless steel press pots.
No room in the kitchen due to all the foods so I took my Vario and electric
kettle into the laundry room.  I pressed a Colombian Royal Select Decaf that
I hear was good, and also a pot of El Salvador Matalapa -Tablon El Amate
followed by a pot of Ethiopia Dry Process Jimma -Nigusie Lemma.  Everyone
else preferred the Ethiopian coffee with comments on how sweet it was and
that some people didn't need to add sugar, but I really preferred the clean,
more subtle orange flavors in the washed El Salvador coffee.  I used up the
last of this coffee this morning with an Americano for the Wife (she's
decided she likes Americanos, which is easy for me when I'm pulling shots)
and two doubles for me.  I'll really miss this coffee when it's gone, just
two more batches at 300 g per batch for the two pounds I got.

Hank,

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well.  I hate being sick on the
holidays.  I hope you feel better soon.

The Quest sounds interesting to me, I'd consider it as my next, future
roaster.  Since I've lowered by Behmor batches to 300 g to improve my
profiles, the jump to the Quest wouldn't be all that difficult, especially
with the idea that you could crank out back-to-back roasts at a higher
rate.  I've actually been enjoying doing smaller batches of more different
coffees to have the ability to mix up what I'm drinking and have a nice
variety on hand.

As for the rest of the weekend, I think we're staying in and avoiding any
shopping mania.

-Chris