[Homeroast] Thanksgiving Ramblings

Lynne lynnebiz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 10:36:43 CST 2010

So sorry you are sick, esp. for a holiday, and hope you will feel better
fast. I think renting that cabin for your family was such a cool, selfless
thing to do!

My holiday was nice. Nothing spectacular, but nice. It's been a year that
would put Job to the test. A friend of thirty years, my ex-boyfriend (we
were still friends, talked daily), my ex-husband (no contact w/me, but my
kids connected & resolved some issues - he was abusive, so this brought up
all sorts of conflicting feelings), and my oldest, dear side-kick, my dog
Shiloh, all died this year. Plus I was/am being harassed by my landlord who
I now realize thinks I'm their maid (ha - did THEY get a surprise!)

Anyway, one of my sons just got an apt w/a friend, so we had our day over
there. Since I had a last minute order to watch my landlord's dogs
Thanksgiving morning, that threw a monkey wrench in my thanksgiving plans
(was going to sleep over there the night before).

It worked out. Was going to debone that 20 lb turkey like I did last year
(following the instructions on video fr Julia Child & Jacque Pepin), but
that didn't work out, so I just hacked it away. I marinated it in a gallon
of milk and almost a liter of apple juice since Monday, plus some spices.

Cooked it on the highest his oven would reach - 525 degrees. It cooked fast
and was unbelievably moist and tasty. I might do it this way every year!
Left the wings & legs along w/most of the rest for my son to eat for
leftovers.

Only downside was I had NO coffee - until I got home, of course. He has one
of those stupid Senseo machines. I was even going to risk a cup, but looking
at the open package of "dark roast" labeled pouches, I figured it wasn't
worth getting poisoned by that, haah!!

All in all, it was a good day. We seem to be overcoming our difficulties,
and we were/are truly thankful for all the good we have in our family (plus,
we at least had our little Dylan home for Thanksgiving).

hugs to my homeroast family -

Lynne