[Homeroast] Thanksgiving Ramblings

Robert Bedwell rlb at triad.rr.com
Fri Nov 26 03:40:07 CST 2010

I am glad your Thanksgiving was good.  It felt like Sunday all day and I am retired.  Figure that one?

I use a Hottop and only started roasting in August.  I suspect cleaning it is more of a PIA than with the Behmor but I
do give it a good cleaning after each 6-10 roasts.  Of course I clean out the stray chaff thoroughly after each roast.
Amazing how soaking the parts in Carfiza almost immediately removes the oils from parts.

I had my name in for a Quest but SM didn't get them in soon enough.  However the Hottop has been fantastic.  The
control of the roasts has been the feature that I have enjoyed.  It requires you be engaged with controlling the heat and
the fan throughout the process.  The learning curve was much shorter thanks to a couple of other Hottop users.  The
few times that I have needed to contact Hottop they have been exceptional.

In retrospect I am glad that I have the Hottop and the Quest was late arriving and it has nothing to do with the
Quest.  Frankly I think I would have enjoyed it as much as the Hottop.   Both suffer from the inability to roast
enough beans to suit me.  Most of my roasts are 8 oz, some 9 oz.  The Behmor does closer to a pound which would better
suit me.  So, my thought process is to wait a bit for the rumored new Hottop that is expected to roast a pound or
buy one of the sample roasters which I can't justify the expense of for a couple pounds of coffee a week.

It's a dilemma but a good one.

Good coffee to all!

Bob