[Homeroast] Thanksgiving Ramblings

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 22:46:26 CST 2010

Your approach to a roast with a Quest will most resemble a commercial
solid drum with air, roaster. Similar controls and heat transfer
profile. Minus the fact it's electric vs. gas. Most pro.articles
written about roasting usually refer to this type of roasting. You can
expect to be able to get similar characteristics in the roast to the
top Roasters. I do like some of the different heat applications in the
various other home roasters. With the most extreme modifications or
zen can produce a roast with a different character that can sometimes
match better with some beans and desired outcomes than a typical
commercial drum. Direct radiant heat always seemed to make a lot of
sense to me, bean friendly, which is the Behmors strong point if you
can get around it's shortcomings. It's puzzled me why  there aren't
more commercial roaster designs being used with different combinations
of heat transfer.

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Hank Perkins <hankperkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, I hope everyone had a memorable Thanksgiving or a Great
> Thanksgiving.  As I look back over my 52 years there are only a
> handful of Thanksgivings that are memorable, mostly bad.  As I reflect
> on these with my family we I laugh and laugh.  These Thanksgivings are
> what make the normal Thanksgivings fun.  One thing I always reflect on
> is that Thanksgiving is all about accepting the bad and celebrating
> the good.
>
> Behmor Cleaning - After being chastised here for not keeping my
> roaster clean I have repented.  It really wasn't that dirty when I
> started but it did need cleaning.  I have tried a variety of different
> methods for cleaning and have found that a quick wipe  down with
> Isopropyl  Alcohol using a paper towel.  This is very effective,
> leaves no residue and pulls the coffee oils right off the inside of
> the roaster.  Best part, you don't have to rinse the inside.  You can
> do a dry run or just preheat it.  All the alcohol is gone once the
> internal temp hits ~175 degrees.
>
> Behmor Temperature Probe - Is nice to have, but is frustrating.  I
> have limited control at adjusting the temperature (opening the door)
> or even  understanding what I can learn from the probe.  One thing it
> has taught me, I wonder how much roasting and how much baking of the
> coffee I am really doing.  You can also see the roaster not get as hot
> when it gets dirty which is a good thing.
>
> Behmor vs. Quest  - I have about decided to go ahead and make the jump
> to the Quest.  At this juncture I have little confidence I am being
> all I can be with the Behmor.  I wold love to hear some opinions about
> the Quest.  At first I was put off by it's small batch size until I
> found out how quick it roasts and that you can roast one load after
> another resulting in an hourly output as high or higher than the
> Behmor.
>
> Comments are welcome.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Hank