[Homeroast] Happy Thanksgiving

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Wed Nov 24 20:32:35 CST 2010

I like to make two kinds of sauce--one raw relish with walnuts, oranges, a touch of Amaretto and sugar; and one cooked, in equal parts OJ and water, plus sugar, cinnamon and orange zest.  For texture I add some dried cranberries to both.  But I never thought to save and reduce the cooking liquid--usually, it gets resorbed by the berries as they cool.  When my father-in-law moved in with us two years ago, he insisted we also serve canned jellied sauce--it was his family tradition to chill and then unmold it carefully from the can so that the ridges were preserved.  He passed away three weeks ago tomorrow, so we will also serve that in his memory.