[Homeroast] heat gun method

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Wed Nov 24 20:11:47 CST 2010

On Nov 24, 2010, at 2:30 PM, Bill S. wrote:

> The S.M. digital thermometer probe that I use came with a bare bulb attached
> to high-temperature wire.  I epoxied this inside an empty stainless steel
> ball point pen refill, with both ends off.  When mounted with a rigid
> fitting inside the roaster, this remains in the center of the bean mass, and
> the SS probably provides some temperature stability giving constant
> readings.

It's a tradeoff; any thermal mass added to the junction will slow the response. A bare thermocouple reacts very quickly. But once your roast is going, even if you're a couple seconds behind, it'll probably be good 'nuff. That's part of what the PID algorithm smooths out for you.
You can get thermocouple probes in stainless housings with threaded fittings off the shelf; a bit pricier, but more durable than the bare wire.

-
allon