[Homeroast] Thailand green coffee

Phil Palmintere phil.palmintere at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 10:41:44 CST 2010

I just came back from an eco-tour of Thailand, which was a lot of fun.  In a
remote village, among other things they grow their own organic coffee (I saw
both Arabica and Robusta).  One hut has a hand-turned 5 lb. drum roaster,
roasting over a wood/charcoal fire.  They spoke no English and I spoke no
Thai, but we were still able to "talk" about roasting.  She roasts too dark
for my taste, and they don't seem to rest more than a day or so, but it was
fun.

I brought back a kilo of the local green coffee -- there is a large
variation of bean size, and I can tell there are some stones as well.

It should be fun to try roasting in my Gene Café as an experiment.