[Homeroast] BBQ drum roasting, Thoughts on adding convection

Justin Schwarz houstini at comcast.net
Sun Nov 21 00:18:21 CST 2010

I have come to the conclusion that I need to add some convection to my drum which is solid stainless and open ended.  I have been doing a lot of furnace change-outs lately for the heating company I work for.  Some of the old furnaces have draft inducer blowers that could handle the amount of heat from roasting exhaust.

I was wondering if anyone has used any type of blower to create convection in a BBQ drum and found a great conversation in the archives from some long time listers, I must say that I felt a bit nostalgic reading a thread with commentary from: Oaxaca Charlie, Jim Gundlach, Ed Needham, Alchemist John, Les, Ron Kyle and a few other familiar names. It was a great read about this subject and can be found here http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/Topic16040.htm Those were the days, we were all a little more active on here and there was no way I could keep up with all of the topics back then.

If anyone has further thoughts about convection in a BBQ drum I would appreciate the input. I am having serious upgrade-itis with my roaster, some of my roasts are either flat or way too dark.  very hard to slam on the brakes at the beginning of 1st using flame control alone.

Happy roasting,
Justin