[Homeroast] Best brewing methods for addressing high LDLcholesterol > Grinder Fines

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 22:57:18 CST 2010

The grinder is the bottleneck between roasting and brewing. I just roasted
some Sulawesi A A WP Toraja. Pleasant brisk day for roasting, so made the
best of it and S T R E T C H ed a roast to FC+.  I wanted the long roast
without any of 2nd Crack.

1st didn't start rolling until 16:05; by 19:05 - 19:10, first C all done,
dumped in cooler and cold.
Bean crunch was unbelievable, along with fresh roasted aroma: non-sweet
chocolate on caramel. That's what came out of the silver fire hydrant with
funnel !  Drop dead aroma.

Maybe I wrecked the initial burr set after 5 years of infrequent whole wheat
grinding for bread flour. Burrs touch at 0 = micro dust, bread flour at 5,
Turkish brewing at 10, espresso brew at 20, (to start) drip ~ 32, press at
40 - 48. Original set still felt dead sharp, but I was seeing more fines.
All in my head- the 2nd new set after 5 years and about 95 - 120# felt
sharper yet and fewer fines. (Still some fines, not problematic)

I've never experienced such a delightful initial brew (Turkish) right after
roasting. Nothing but Nirvana- Have you ever caught the aroma of fresh
vanilla beans? It's in there, ever so slightly, Not amended.

It's not one of the only five things I ever do to coffee: roast, age, grind,
brew, consume. I add a) and b) steps to just plain grinding. Flash freeze to
harden the bean surface, and meter the flow of beans into the burrs using
the little gate in the funnel.

At room temperature, the beans are relatively soft and tend to tear apart
rather than crack apart like an egg shell. When beans are packed into the
burrs, many of the beans are crushed against each other rather than being
shaved by the burrs. All comical burrs tend to do that, and the only fix is
to meter the feed into the burrs. If I wanted crushed grounds, I wouldn't
have bought a grinder at all. There are B&FE railroad tracks about 150 yards
from here...

Agreed, Grinder is Job #1. A bad grinder can wreck everything that follows
even with the $2000+ coffee maker. A $1K grinder is Nothing compared to all
the flavor a cheap-o can wreck.

Cheers, Mabuhay -RayO, aka Opa!

Got Grinder?

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Hank Perkins <hankperkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW I have had several grinders. When I was drinking mostly drip I used a
> Rocky Rancillio and was very happy with it. As a dark side espresso guy now
> we use a Mazzer mini electronic which is $1000 grinder. It is doserless and
> For home usage it is phenomenal. I have not used it for drip but make no
> mistake once you dialed it in you could set the ground size to what ever you
> wanted. Lastly I have had multiple coffee roasters makers and espresso
> machines. The grinders are always have made the ultimate improvement in my
> coffee drink regardless of brewing methods.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 19, 2010, at 9:27 AM, "Michael Wade" <mlwade at pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > Chris, what grinder are you using now that produces less fines?  Anybody
> else?  Seems like this topic always gets dominated by the "Dark Side"
> espresso guys.  I'm interested in a good, no, make that excellent grinder
> for brewing.
> >
> > I changed my brewing to the shortest cycle I know of,  the Aeropress, to
> compensate for the overextraction of fines in other, longer cycle brew
> methods, but I'd like to get a better grinder FOR BREW, and try other
> methods again.
> >
> > Michael Wade
> > Milpitas, CA
> >
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Yakster" <yakster at gmail.com>

Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...